Tuesday 1 November 2011

70's Toys Revisited. Grifter,The Hooligans Choice

Got me one of these after i totaled my Raleigh Chopper comin down the hill by my old house and went into a huge speed wobble at 35mph. These were the first badboy bikes, and i rode it like a rodeo cowboy on acid. Wheelies, jumps,thru peoples gardens, i didnt give a fuck. Id park it in the crack of your arse if i could. Had a cool way of changing gear with the grip, colour coded speed, green-crusin, blue-yea il fuckin race you, red-yeehar !!! If you rode a Grifter around my way you were not to be fucked with. "You got a Raleigh Arena? haha, sit down to piss do you"?

5 comments:

  1. Mandingo you musta had big old rugby playas legs dem Griters weighed about tree tons fer feck sake...my wee spindly legs could only get my sisters raleigh burner to wheelie..!! but i did have straights on my chopper...didn't really work hahaha..it always sucked when some bollox stole yer gear chain on dem and ya had to ride home from school in third gear...fume!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, see u on the 26th my lil irish leprechaun

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will come as no suprise to you welsh beauties that i had a Raliegh Budgie...Fuck i loved that bike, was a little big for me though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Grifter for 20 years, saw me through childhood riding around the block, teenage years riding miles and drunken early 20s on crazy adventures. Parked it outside in the Yorkshire rain all that time. Damn thing was so indestructible that it barely even rusted. Then I got a mountain bike and it probably got turned into scrap metal. Poor thing, I wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bike before that was the Tomahawk (the smaller Chopper) killed that one riding it down steep hills and crashing into trees. Also the Grifter was so heavy that you didn't need to lock it because no one could carry it and no one but a rugby player could ride it off.

    ReplyDelete